Fortin du Petit-Sault (Petit-Sault Blockhouse)

PROVINCIAL HERITAGE PLACE

Built in 1841 on a rocky outcrop where the Madawaska and the St. John River meet, this small fort overlooking the City of Edmundston was part of the British defensive line during the boundary dispute between England and the United States. That conflict, known as the “Aroostook Bloodless War,” ended in 1842 when the Ashburton-Webster Treaty was signed. Destroyed by lightning in 1855, the blockhouse was rebuilt in 2000 in accordance with original specifications.