Acadian Creamy Fiddlehead Soup
Purée all but ¼ cup (60 ml) of fiddleheads. Chop the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) of fiddleheads into small pieces, set aside.
- 1-1/4 lb. (570 g) fiddleheads, cleaned well
- 4 cups (1 L) stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. (3 ml) oregano
- ½ tsp. (3 ml) basil
- ½ cup (125 ml) celery, minced
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) parsley
- 1 cup (250 ml) applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) green tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients in a large pot, except for the milk. Simmer until the larger pieces of fiddleheads are tender, about 40 minutes on low heat. Add milk and simmer 20 more minutes. Serve piping hot with biscuits, bread or dumplings (see recipe below).
From the cookbook A Taste of New Brunswick, by Karen Powell