A simple summertime dessert, this Maritime recipe gets its name from the sound of the berries boiling under the dumplings.
- 4 cups (1 l) blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or a combination
- 1 can (300 ml) Eagle Brand® regular or low fat sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup (175 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 ml) sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) milk
Place berries, sweetened condensed milk, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large pot or Dutch oven with a lid. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and cook gently until slightly cooked down.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter and add milk. Drop batter by spoonful into hot berry sauce. Cover tightly with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t lift the lid! The dumplings should be puffed and well cooked.
Place dumplings in serving dish and ladle sauce on top.
This can also be made in cast iron Dutch oven over a camp fire. To make preparation of the dumplings even easier, pre-measure dry ingredients in a re-sealable bag, add in the remaining ingredients and mix.
Source : Recipe developed in-house by Eagle Brand